CTS and CTS Modules
This page has been built as a location to post, share and explore the various strands and clusters of CTS. The initial idea came from a cohort meeting of CTS teachers where it was noted that, although the people in the room were the right people, there were many missing who would benefit from the discussion. Creating a website would allow for easy access to links, documents, plans, rubrics, worksheets - almost anything that would be of interest to CTS teachers. I have taken the liberty of also posting a collection of documents, assignments and other drivel which I have created over my 22 years of teaching shop. Some may be of use, some may not, but if nothing else they may give teachers ideas for their own assignments or activities. Again, take them for what they are - that being something created by someone else for their shop and their situation.
Introduction to CTS
Career and Technology Studies (CTS) is a complementary program designed for Alberta's secondary school students. As a program of choice, CTS offers all students important learning opportunities to:
- develop skills that can be applied in their daily lives, now and in the future
- refine career-planning skills
- develop technology-related skills
- enhance employability skills
- apply and reinforce learnings developed in other subject areas
- prepare for transition into adult roles in the family, community, workplace and/or further education.
The course structure of CTS enables schools to design unique programs that meet the needs of students and take advantage of community resources. Developed across levels rather than grades, CTS has multiple entry points and provides secondary students with access to a common curriculum. As a competency-based curriculum, CTS recognizes prior learning from formal schooling and personal initiatives.
(taken from the Alberta Education Program of Studies)
Divisional Safety Guidelines
The following guidelines were established in the fall of 2012 in an effort to make the safety expectations and practices more constant across the division. It was deemed important to make sure practices for maintaining access to safety exams and artifacts were the same across the division in an effort to make sure they could be examined when needed.
CTS Cohort Uploads and Requests
My recommendation regarding the operation of the CTS cohort is that instead of getting together to meet virtually, we should instead exchange requests and uploads to be put on the Cohort Website. I came up with this following the cohort meeting at the September PD day. We seemed to be looking at each other a lot and not coming up with any earth-shattering developments. We are a different cohort in that while I am the CTS coordinator for the division, I am available to help with any issues or requests at any time. This is why I came up with the idea of posting positive comments about something found on the website, posting of things as requested, and posting of items which you have developed and find useful in your practice. I am going to suggest we do this this month and see if it serves us as needed. I believe all of the CTS teachers teach outside of CTS as well, so this is a good opportunity to explore those other cohorts. CTS is such a site specific, facility driven course that sharing successes which may, or may not, be applicable to your facility is the best we can offer.
I will post anything you think would be of use to other CTS teachers in the division. If you have any requests for info, etc., please drop me an email.
- Gr. 8 Machine Test - Blair Raugust
- Project Record Sheet - Blair Raugust
- Woodworking Rubric - Kelly Lewis
Course Documents for CTS Woodworking - this link includes access to the following documents:
- Personal Safety Exam
- Power Tool Safety 2.1
- Woodworking Power Tools 3.2
- Wood Lathe Safety Exam
- Basic Safety
- Woodworking Fill in the Blank
- Final Exam
- Gr. 7 Bandsaw Safety Exam
- Gr. 7 Power Tool Safety Exam
- Jr. High Woodworking Worksheet
- Backward Planning Sheet
- Construction Modules Package
- Construction Bookwork
- Grade 7 Abrasives and Finishing Exam
- Grade 7 bandsaw Safety Exam
- Grade 7 Fasteners Exam
- Grade 7 Introduction to the Band Saw
- Grade 7 Power Tool Safety Exam
- Grade 7 Wood Exam
- Grade 7 Woods Test
- Grade 7 Woodworking Assignment safety posters
- Grade 8 project selection assignment
- Grade 9 Planning Exercise Hearth Stool
- Grade 9 Planning Exercise tool tray
- Grade 9 project selection assignment
- Joe safety
- Personal Safety Exam
- power tool safety 1.1.0
- power tool safety 2.1.0
- wood assignment
- wood crossword puzzle
- wood exam
- Wood Lathe Safety Exam
- woodworking assessment
- Woodworking Hand Tools 2.0
- Woodworking power tools version 2
- Woodworking power tools version 3
- Gr. 7 Course Outline
- Gr. 8 Course Outline
- Gr. 9 Course Outline
Course Documents for CTS Fabrication
Course Documents for CTS Mechanics
Course Documents for CTS Foods
- This section will deal with course documents which pertain directly to CTS Foods.
Assorted CTS Documents
- This section is a bit of a catch-all for career documents, emergency substitute assignments and things that didn't seem to fit elsewhere.
CTS MOBILE MODULES
These modules were developed as part of the Prairie Land Regional Division CTS Project. They have been developed as a way of providing students in schools without CTS facilities to acquire CTS credits and increase their course offerings. As an initiative of the division, these modules are being made available to other schools with the understanding that they will provide PLRD with modules which can be posted to this site, creating a repository for modules. There are currently several other modules under development which will be posted as they are completed.
The modules have been written to meet the needs of the division and teachers, or divisions, are encouraged to make sure they meet the learning needs of your students before delivering them. The current contact for this page can be reached at "email@example.com".
- The mobile module page is located HERE.
- The best source of links and other content which is related to CTS Wildlife is the page built by Kelly Lewis of JCCHS. He was part of the team which re-wrote the CTS Wildlife Curriculum a few years back, and is well known in the environmental education circles within Alberta. His page has many of the same CTS Wildlife documents found on this page, but also many more links, pictures and activities.
- If all goes according to plan, this section will feature some of the outstanding and amazing work done by some of the students in PLRD. Names will be used where they are known, and if possible, links to plans will be given.
These links are aimed at the "Project Seeker", with a focus on free plans. Please let me know if you find any other sites that offer free plans - especially ones that have downloadable plans.
- Woodworker's Workshop
- Canadian Plywood Association
- Free Woodworking Plan.com
- Amateur Woodworker Plan Archive
- Free Plans for Small, Easy Projects
- Wood Properties and Uses
- American Welding Society Educator's Page
- Miller Welding Project Gallery
- Metal Web
- Blacksmith and Metalworker Webring
- Practical Student.com
- CTS Specialist Council