Alexander Rutherford Scholarship
All students attending post-secondary school are eligible to apply for the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship. For course requirements click here. For calculating your Alexander Rutherford average click here. For application information follow this link.
Alexander Rutherford High School Achievement Scholarship
Alexander Rutherford had the distinction of being Alberta’s first Premier. He was known for his strong support of public education, particularly the University of Alberta, and his active involvement in community affairs. This scholarship named in his honour, rewards exceptional academic achievement at the senior high school level and encourages students to pursue post-secondary studies.
To recognize and reward academic achievement at the senior high school level and to encourage students to pursue post-secondary studies.
Up to $2,500
To receive this scholarship, you must meet all of these eligibility criteria:
- be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- be an Alberta resident; You or your parent(s) must have resided in Alberta during the qualifying grade(s).
- be enrolled in 60% of a full course load in a post-secondary program of at least one semester in length, or an apprenticeship program.
*Applicants must also have completed high school on or after September 30, 1980.
A student must have a minimum combined average based on five designated courses in at least one grade: Grade 10, 11 or 12. A student does not need to meet this average in all three school years or in all courses to qualify for a portion of the scholarship. The minimum average, value of the award, and courses that can be used depend on the year the student graduated. For further information, see:
How to Apply
Student Aid Alberta is making applying for the Alexander Rutherford High School Achievement Scholarship easier by implementing a new online application process, and so you need to be aware of the following:
- The new online application for Alexander Rutherford is availalbe.
- Paper copies of the Alexander Rutherford application are no longer being accepted.
- No more application deadlines! Apply online anytime – once you have been accepted by your preferred post-secondary institution.
- Existing awards amount, standards for academic merit and excellence does not change.
- For more information on Alexander Rutherford see FAQ.